“The shutdowns of these sections will start in the second half of 2021 and be completed by early 2022,” Macron said on Friday during a press conference following summit talks with the leaders of five West African nations.
France would reduce its force to 2,500 to 3,000 troops over the long term and focus on special regional forces instead, he said.
Macron announced last month that he would start removing much of the 5,100-member Barkhane force in the Sahel after eight years of helping local forces stave off the threat from rebels linked to Al Qaeda and Daesh.
Macron on Friday said this was made possible by in part by the changing nature of the threat as well as the capabilities of local armies and support from other European nations.
He insisted that France would remain a long-term partner for the G5 countries of Mali, Burkina Faso, Chad, Mauritania and Niger.
Reconfiguring military presence
“Our enemies have abandoned their territorial ambitions in favour of spreading their threat not only across the Sahel, but across all of West Africa,” Macron said at a press conference with Niger’s President Mohamed Bazoum.
“Unfortunately this offensive implies increased pressure on all the Gulf of Guinea countries, which is already a reality,” he said.
Analysts have warned that the militant threat in the five Sahel countries could lead to increased terror threats in countries including the Ivory Coast or Benin.
“We are going to reorganise ourselves in line with this need to stop this spread to the south, and it will lead to a reduction of our military footprint in the north,” Macron said.
The Pentagon’s Central Command said that the United States had officially handed over seven facilities to the Afghan Ministry of Defence ahead of the September deadline to complete the pullout. Aerial porters work with maintainers to load a UH-60L Blackhawk helicopter into a US Air Force C-17 Globemaster III during the withdrawal of American forces […]
New Jersy ought to drop faculty masks necessities in fall. ‘Our minds are open,’ Murphy says. As a country wide debate rages over whether or not face coverings are nonetheless wanted in lecture rooms to assist combat the coronavirus pandemic, Gov. Phil Murphy stated Wednesday he’s open-minded approximately losing New Jersey’s masks necessities in faculties […]
Woman dies after being struck by NJ Transit bus in North Jersey, officials say. A woman died Thursday evening after she was struck by an NJ Transit bus in Haledon, officials said. The bus was making a left turn from Belmont Avenue onto Haledon Avenue around 4:30 p.m. when the woman, who was not identified, […]